The first time I tried this skin brightening face mask, I was not sold. Mainly because the thought of having to sit still for 15 uninterrupted minutes seemed like the most ludicrous thing to ask a mother of a two-year-old. Regardless, I gave myself the task of testing this recipe out during nap time on a day I knew my daughter to be particularly tired (thus minimizing the risk of her waking up and me having to scrape the mixture off my face and shove it in my mouth as I dash up the stairs to get her before she climbs out of her crib – yes, that entire scenario ran thru my head as I considered doing this “relaxing” treatment.) Anyways, if there is one thing motherhood has taught me it’s that the physical and mental exhaustion our little ones put us through often shows in our skin. Don’t ask me why, but many of my mommy friends find that their skin isn’t as well-hydrated, bright, and tight as it used to be. Personally, I will confess that on more than one occasion I have gone to bed without washing my face, because quite frankly those five extra minutes are a big deal when you wake up at 5am! So, I recommend using this face mask once a month, on a day when you can actually schedule some time for yourself. This is a great skin brightening solution, heck, pour yourself a glass of wine while at it and call it Mommy Time!
Skin Brightening Face Mask:
- 1 tbs. Coconut Oil (organic unrefined first cold-pressed if possible)
- 2 tbs. Raw Honey
- 1/2 tbs. Lemon juice
- Handful raw steel cut Oats
Mix all ingredients together to form a paste. Apply generously to face and leave for 10 – 15 minutes. For added bonus, place cucumber slices on your eyes while face mask is applied. After 15 minutes have passed, carefully remove the mask with paper towels, moistened in warm water. Then wash your face with warm water and gently dry with a clean towel.
- Coconut Oil: Softens, smoothens and lubricates skin cells. It also breaks down dead cells. Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants and healthy acids which help heal acne and hydrate skin. (Try to use organic, unrefined cold pressed and extra virgin coconut oil for best results)
- Honey: Highly moisturizes, contains antibacterial, antiseptic and anti inflammatory properties to fight acne scars and blemishes. Combined with the oats it also helps exfoliate skin.
- Lemon: Lemon is a natural astringent. It helps tighten and shrink pores. It also has antibacterial properties which kill off germs and acne causing bacteria.
- Oats: Oatmeal has skin-soothing properties and is an hypoallergenic. Oatmeal is also an humectant, therefore when combined with the other moisturizing ingredients it helps the skin retain moisture. Finally, it’s coarse texture helps exfoliate the skin.